Applications for our 2017 summer camps have now closed. Regrettably, due to demand, we are unable to accept late applications.
Parents who have applied for places will be advised no later than Friday, 16 June.
We are delighted to announce the schedule of FREE summer camps at Fighting Words for 2017! This year, we are running a variety of summer programmes at our centre in Dublin and two filmmaking camps for teens in Glencree, Co. Wicklow.
Our camps are highly participatory and a lot of fun. Come explore your creativity with us this summer!
Applications closed at 5.00pm on Monday, June 5th.
Parents who have applied for a place will be advised no later than Friday, 16 June 2017.
- Dublin camps take place at Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1
- Glencree camps take place at the Aurora Centre, Glencree, Co. Wicklow
Times - Dublin
- 10am to 3pm for the older age groups (11 - 13 years and 14 - 17 years)
- 10am to 2pm for the younger age group (8 - 10 years).
Times – Glencree
- 10am to 4pm for both camps – 15 to 18 years
Important Information For All Camps - Please Read Carefully
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form on the website. We will NOT hold a place for your child without a form - you MUST book a place by returning the form. Applications for places have now closed.
- You will receive an onscreen confirmation after submitting an application form successfully - NOT an email.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- Submitting an application form does not guarantee a place.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict in regard to the age ranges for each camp. Application forms for children who are outside the age ranges will NOT be considered.
- In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp. Please note that due to high demand, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- We will advise if your child has a place no later than Friday, June 16th.
- If your child receives a place, please confirm it as soon as possible. Failure to confirm a place may result in the loss of the place and a reallocation of the place to a child on the wait list.
- Camps will run for three or four days. See the schedule below for full details.
- We will provide all materials for each camp. The only thing your child will need to bring is a packed lunch.
- All camps are free of charge.
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy, which will be distributed to parents prior to the start of each camp.
- All camps are run by experienced writers/artists.
- Our tutors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
- Cancellation Policy: If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list.
Dublin Camp Schedule
July 3 - 6 (Monday - Thursday): Film Making, 14-17 years Participants will work in small groups to script and film short films. Guest experts will advise on writing, performing, filming, sound and editing.
July 10 - 12 (Monday - Wednesday): Photography and Narrative, 8-10 years Participants will learn about taking photographs and then use the photos to illustrate their own stories.
July 17 - 20 (Monday – Thursday): Fiction Writing, 14-17 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers.
July 24 - 27 (Monday - Thursday): Graphic Fiction, 11-13 years Participants will devise, write and illustrate a comic book with guidance and assistance from experienced artists. Think you can't draw? We have tips and techniques to show you how!
July 31 – August 3 (Monday - Thursday): Play Writing, 14-17 years Participants will work with experience scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
August 8 - 10 (Tuesday - Thursday): Playwriting and Puppetry, 8-10 years Participants will write a play, create characters, make puppets and put on a performance!
August 14 - 17 (Monday - Thursday): Graphic Fiction, 14-17 years Participants will work with a team of artists and illustrators to create their own graphic fiction storyline. No drawing experience required, only imagination!
August 21 - 25 (Monday - Thursday): Theatre Making, 11-13 years A brand new summer camp where participants will work together and use games to devise and create their own piece of theatre.
Glencree Camp Schedule - Film Making Camps for Teens
July 11 - 13 (Tuesday - Thursday): Film Making, 15-18 years Paticipants will write, film and edit a film of three to six minutes.
July 18 - 20 (Tuesday - Thursday): Film Making, 15-18 years Paticipants will write, film and edit a film of three to six minutes.
Dublin Camps: Contact Sara Bennett: email or 0872746621
Glencree Camps: Contact Mark Davidson: email or 086 046 1891