Teacher Resource Pack
Click here for resources for secondary school teachers!
Click here for tips about taking great photographs!
What is inside the 5km boundary where you are?
Engage your five senses and discover the stories within your 5km! What is special about the area where you live that you would like the world to know?
Fighting Words invites you to explore the world around you and share your creativity with us!
Take a photograph of something within your 5km limit and write its story in five...five what? It’s up to you!
Some ideas include:
A poem in 5 words or 5 lines
A story in 5 paragraphs
A poem in 5 words or 5 lines
An illustration in 5 colours
A song with 5 lines or verses
5 objects in the photo that tell a story
Or your own idea about 5x5!
All work will be published in a digital magazine on the Fighting Words website in April 2021.
Opening date for submissions: Tuesday, 19 January 2021
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. Thank you to everyone who submitted!
We will be in contact with you soon.
This initiative is open to writers aged 12 and older, including adults!
All the details:
Submissions open on Tuesday, 19 January
Submissions close on Friday, 12 February
Maximum word count: 500 words - please do not exceed this
Submissions may be in English or in Irish
Authors must be 12 years or older
Send your stories in an editable format (e.g. Microsoft Word or Google Docs). Please do NOT send submissions in PDF format or Apple Pages.
Illustrations and comics should be sent as JPEGs. Handwritten submissions will not be accepted
IMPORTANT: All submissions from writers under 18 years should be sent from a parent/guardian email address OR from a teacher email address to email@example.com with 5X5 PROJECT in the subject line
The following information MUST be included:
Name of author
County where you live
Title of piece
Word Count (please note maximum of 500 words)
Age (if under 18 years)
Parent/Guardian Name (if under 18 years of age)
Parent/Guardian Contact Telephone Number (if under 18 years of age)
- Teacher Name, School Name and Contact Telephone (if submitting on behalf of students) PLEASE NOTE - Teachers MUST include all above information if submitting on behalf of students under 18 years of age.
All submissions will be acknowledged by email and entrants will receive a copy of the terms and conditions.
Fighting Words reserve the right not to publish submissions if details listed above are not included.
Any questions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 5X5 QUESTION in the subject line
Consent – Attention Authors, Parents/Guardians and Teachers
All authors submitting work (or their parent/guardian for writers under 18 years) understand that all rights to submissions belong to the contributing writer/artist and to Fighting Words and any project partners, which may reproduce the contributed work in connection with the promotion of the project and the publication together with the project partners. Any possible proceeds from the project will support Fighting Words and its partners.
Fighting Words and its project partners reserves the right not to publish content that contravenes the Fighting Words Equal Opportunities and/or Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy. Both policies are found on www.fightingwords.ie
Parents: By submitting a creative piece for the 5x5 Project on behalf of your child using your email address, you confirm that you are the parent/guardian for the entrant in the “5x5 Project,” which will result in a digital publication and that you grant permission for the piece to be included in said publication.
Teachers: Teachers who submit work on behalf of students will be responsible for confirming parent/guardian permission to publish work submitted by authors under the age of 18 years.
Fighting Words is responsible for storing your data securely.
By submitting a piece of writing or other artwork to this project, you accept that Fighting Words and their project partners may use your information in connection with the creation of the “5x5 Project” and publish your (or your child’s) contribution digitally. All rights are reserved to you as the author/artist or the parent of the author / artist and Fighting Word and the project partners.
No unauthorised person will gain access to your information. Your e-mail address will not be used for purposes other than to communicate with you directly regarding “The 5x5 Project.”
Terms and Conditions
- All information detailing how to enter this initiative forms part of these Terms and Conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the parent/guardian of the entrant agrees to abide by these rules.
- Submissions open on 19 January 2021.
- Closing date for submissions 12 February 2021.
- Submissions received after this date will not be accepted.
- Submissions are based on the creation of a story, poem, illustration, comic or song that does not exceed 500 words.
- When making a submission, applicants, parents/guardians of applicants or teachers of applicants should carefully consider the timeframe for completion of work. It is the responsibility of the successful applicant to ensure that their project can be completed on time.
- All written work and artwork accompanying the submission must be the work of the individual making the submission. It is the responsibility of the individual - or the parent/guardian or the teachers making the submission for the entrant to ensure that any content that they submit does not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws.
- Copyright of submissions remains with the entrant.
- Any submissions with references to nudity, racism, drug use, extreme profanity or other objectionable content will be rejected and excluded.
- For all applicants, copyright of the creative work will remain with the entrant, however, Fighting Words, together with its funders and project partners, will be granted permission by the entrants (or parent/guardian of entrants under 18 years) to worldwide, irrevocable and perpetual licence to feature the creative work in any of their publications, promotional material and websites.
- Events may occur that render the The 5 x 5 Project impossible due to reasons beyond the control of Fighting Words and the entrants (or their parents/guardians) agree that no liability shall attach to Fighting Words or partners as a result.
- By entering creative work to The 5x5 Project, entrants (or the parents/guardians of entrants under 18 years) agree to the collection, retention, usage and distribution of their personal information to process and contact them about their submission and for the purposes outlined in these Terms and Conditions.
- Fighting Words may pass entrants’ details to third parties and/or otherwise engage third party providers in connection with The 5 x 5 Project where the third party is acting on Fighting Words’ behalf for the purposes of administering this project and/or subsequent publicity, and/or as otherwise required by law.
- The promoter of this initiataive is Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1 D01 WD53.
- Fighting Words accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by entrants submitting creative work.
- Fighting Words or its partners shall not be liable to comply with its obligations relating to this competition where the failure is caused by something outside of its reasonable control.
- The 5 x 5 Project and these Terms and Conditions will be governed by Irish law and entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish Courts