We are delighted to announce the schedule of FREE ONLINE summer camps at Fighting Words for 2020!
This year, due to the continuing advice from the Government to maintain social distancing, Fighting Words summer camps will be offered online to guarantee the safety of participants, facilitators and our volunteer team.
Camps this year will be offered to two age groups: 11-13 years and 14-17 years. In future years, we do expect to expand our age range to include younger writers again. We have had to restrict participation this year both in age range and participant numbers due to the extraordinary circumstances presented by the Covid-19 situation.
Looking for resources for a younger writer? Check out our Un-School Club pages for ideas to keep young imaginations active!
As with previous years, however, our camps are highly participatory and a lot of fun. Come explore your creativity with us this summer!
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 29 May 2020.
Parents who have applied for a place will be advised no later than Friday, 19 June 2020.
Camp Days and Times
- All camps will run from Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm
- Cost: FREE!
Camp Structure and IT Requirements
The 2020 summer camps will feature a series of pre-recorded videos and email feedback. Information will be made available at set times and participants will be given time to complete writing tasks.
Personalised feedback will be provided daily by the camp facilitators. Specific, detailed information will be provided to parents in advance of each camp.
All participants will need to have access to a computer and an internet connection for the four days of the camp.
Important Information for All Camps - Please Read Carefully
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form on the website. We will NOT hold a place for your child without a form - you MUST book a place by returning the form.
- You will receive an email once an application is received.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- Submitting an application form does not guarantee a place.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict in regard to the age ranges for each camp. Application forms for children who are outside the age ranges will NOT be considered.
- In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp. Please note that due to high demand, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- We will advise if your child has a place no later than Friday, June 19th.
- If your child receives a place, please confirm it as soon as possible.
- Failure to confirm a place may result in the loss of the place and a reallocation of the place to a child on the wait list.
- Camps will run for four days. See the schedule below for full details.
- All camps are free of charge.
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy, which will be distributed to parents prior to the start of each camp.
- All camps are run by experienced writers/artists.
- Our tutors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
- Photographs/Filming: We take photographs of our programmes in action for inclusion on our website, social media and other promotional materials about our work. All participants will be included. Please note that this is requirement for participation and not optional.
- Cancellation Policy: If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list.
July 6 – 9: Graphic Fiction, 14-17 years Participants will work with a team of artists and illustrators to create their own graphic fiction storyline. No drawing experience required, only imagination!
July 13 – 16: Playwriting, 14-17 years Participants will work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
July 20 – 23: Playwriting, 11-13 years Participants will work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
July 27 – 30: Fiction Writing, 11-13 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers and receive advice on the various aspects of creative writing.
August 10 – August 13: Songwriting, 11-13 years Each participant will spend four days creating his or her own song (or songs!). We will discuss and explore various types of songs and approaches to songwriting. There will be plenty of our trained and vetted tutors on hand to provide help and advice.
August 17 - 20 Fiction Writing, 14-17 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers and receive advice on the various aspects of creative writing.
Fighting Words wishes to acknowledge the support of Creative Ireland for this programme #CreativeIreland #InThisTogether