THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR SUMMER CAMPS HAS NOW CLOSED. Due to demand, we are unable to accept late applications.
We are delighted to announce the schedule of FREE summer camps at Fighting Words for 2018!
This year, we are again running a variety of summer programmes at our centre in Dublin and a filmmaking camp for teens in Glencree, Co. Wicklow.
Our camps are highly participatory and a lot of fun. Come explore your creativity with us this summer!
Applications closed at 5.00pm on Wednesday, June 6th.
Parents who have applied for a place will be advised no later than Monday, 18 June 2018.
- Dublin camps take place at Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1
- Glencree camps take place at the Aurora Centre, Glencree, Co. Wicklow
Times – Dublin
- 10am to 3pm for the older age groups (11 - 13 years and 14 - 17 years)
- 10am to 2pm for the younger age group (8 - 10 years).
Times – Glencree
- 10am to 3pm
Important Information For All Camps - Please Read Carefully
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form. We will NOT hold a place for your child without a form - you MUST book a place by submitting a form.
- You will receive an onscreen confirmation after submitting an application form successfully - NOT an email.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- Submitting an application form does not guarantee a place.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict in regard to the age ranges for each camp. Application forms for children who are outside the age ranges will NOT be considered.
- In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp. Please note that due to high demand, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- We will advise if your child has a place no later than Monday, June 18th.
- If your child receives a place, please confirm it as soon as possible.
- Failure to confirm a place may result in the loss of the place and a reallocation of the place to a child on the wait list.
- Camps will run for three or four days. See the schedule below for full details.
- We will provide all materials for each camp. The only thing your child will need to bring is a packed lunch.
- All camps are free of charge.
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy, which will be distributed to parents prior to the start of each camp.
- All camps are run by experienced writers/artists.
- Our tutors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
- Photographs/Filming: We take photographs of our programmes in action for inclusion on our website, social media and other promotional materials about our work. All participants will be included. Please note that this is requirement for participation and not optional.
- Cancellation Policy: If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list.
Dublin Camp Schedule
July 9 - 11 (Monday - Wednesday): Shadow Puppetry, 8-10 years Participants will create a series of characters and take them on a story-writing adventure. They will learn how to tell stories using light and shadows and will then create their own piece to be performed on the final day!
July 16 - 19 (Monday – Thursday): Play Writing, 14-17 years Participants will work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
July 23 - 26 (Monday – Thursday): Novel Writing, 14-17 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers and receive advice on the various aspects of writing a novel.
July 30 – August 2 (Monday - Thursday): Fiction Writing, 11-13 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers and receive advice on the various aspects of creative writing.
August 7 – August 10 (Tuesday - Friday): Animation Storytelling with Boulder Media (11-13 years) Participants will devise, write and design their own cartoon story with guidance and assistance from experienced artists at Boulder Media. Think you can't draw? We have tips and techniques to show you how! Participants will also help make an animated short film and learn about the inner workings of an animation studio from the professionals!
August 14 - 16 (Tuesday - Thursday): Photography and Narrative, 8-10 years Participants will learn about taking photographs and then use the photos to illustrate their own stories.
August 20 - 23 (Monday - Thursday): Graphic Fiction, 14-17 years Participants will work with a team of artists and illustrators to create their own graphic fiction storyline. No drawing experience required, only imagination!
Glencree Camp Schedule - Film Making Camp for Teens
July 9 - 12 (Monday - Thursday): Film Making, 14-17 years Participants will write, film and edit a film of three to six minutes.
Dublin Camps: Contact Sara Bennett: email or 087 274 6621
Glencree Camps: Contact Mark Davidson: email or 086 046 1891