Fighting Words – the creative writing centre in Dublin– is seeking an intern!
Fighting Words offers free story-writing workshops for children and young people as well as adults with special needs. We offer workshops for schools during the academic year and summer camps during July and August. All tutoring is provided by trained and vetted volunteer writing tutors.
Interns are responsible for assisting Fighting Words staff with all aspects of programme and project management as well as regular administration tasks and event planning. If you enjoy writing, reading and working with children and young people, we would like to hear from you!
What does the intern do?
- Leading at least one primary and/or secondary school workshop per week
- Assisting in the daily management of primary school programmes –greeting and assigning roles to volunteers, tutoring students, answering questions from teachers and other duties required
- Leading teams of tutors in delivering off-site workshops at various locations around the country as required
- Assisting with all aspects of workshops at both weekends and during school holiday periods aimed at both primary and secondary level
- Assisting in the administration and preparation of summer programmes
- Serving as one of the team leaders at summer camps: devising and leading warm-up games, greeting and assigning roles to volunteers, etc.
- General office administration, including updating the Fighting Words website and database
- Event management assistance, particularly planning, helping during the event and any required tasks following events
- At the direction of the Manager, any other duties in addition to or in lieu of the above
What qualities are we seeking in an intern?
- Love of writing, reading, books and words in general
- Previous experience working with young people is an advantage - you should really enjoy working with both younger children and teenagers
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written – both with adults and children
- Proven ability to work well as part of a team
- Flexibility – a willingness to jump in and do what needs to be done, from tutoring writing to bringing out the bins
- Web skills and experience with InDesign desktop publishing are a definite plus but not a requirement
- Sense of humour
The internship offered for 3-6 months from early March 2015. The internship will run until the end of the academic year with the option to run until the end of the summer.
Hours: the intern will work two full weekdays per week and every other Saturday, i.e. 20 hours per week.
Fighting Words covers weekly public transport costs and provides a daily lunch stipend.
How do I apply?
Please complete the online intern application form. Applications will be only be accepted using the application form.
Suitable candidates will be short-listed for interview and are subject to reference checking. The successful candidate will also be subject to Garda vetting.
Any questions? Ring the Fighting Words office on 01 894 4576 or send an email to Sara Bennett on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday, 18 February 2015
Interviews will take place on Friday, 27 February 2015
Fighting Words is committed to equality of opportunity