Autumn 2019 sees the start of an exciting new initiative between the Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray and Fighting Words. For the first time in Wicklow, this unique collaboration is offering eight local writers between the ages of 14 and 18 years the opportunity to create their own short plays during a series of free guided workshops. The process, which includes mentorship and visits from theatre makers and artists, will culminate in the young writers’ plays being directed and performed by professionals in a one-off rehearsed reading on the stage of the Mermaid.
Fighting Words at Mermaid Arts Centre invites secondary school students aged 14-18 to apply for one of eight spaces in the Young Playwrights’ Programme which will culminate in a Staged Reading of their work at Mermaid Arts Centre by professional actors and directors in 2020. The Young Playwrights’ Programme will run from September 2019 to April 2020 and includes: 10 script development workshops 11am-3pm on Saturdays starting 14 September (one to two each month); opportunities to attend selected performances for FREE at Mermaid (additional to workshops); a Staged Reading of your work in Mermaid Arts Centre in 2020 (April date tbc).
To apply please send us the following:
1. Name: / Age: / Contact Email: / Contact Mobile
2. Parent/Guardian Contact Name/ Contact Telephone / Contact Email
2. Provide a cover letter answering: Why would you like to be a part of the Young Playwrights’ Programme? (300-500 words)
3. Confirm you will be available for a minimum of 9 of the 10 workshops (14 & 28 September, 19 & 26 October, 23 November, 14 December, 11 January 2020, 8 & 22 February, 21 March) with the rehearsals compulsory with actors/directors on 8 & 9 April.
4. Submit a sample of your creative writing (for example a scene from a play; an extract from a story) this can be up to 10 pages long.
DATES & FURTHER DETAILS
Applications open on 15th July and close on 2nd September 2019. Successful applicants will be notified on 6 September. Applications welcome in both Irish and/or English - workshops will be conducted through English. Please complete and return the application to: email@example.com with the subject line 'Wicklow Young Playwrights 2019' or post to Fighting Words, c/o Mermaid Arts Centre, The Civic Plaza, Main Street, Bray, Co. Wicklow