The Fighting Words Transition Year Work Experience Programme is suspended until January 2021.
All affected students with confirmed placements have been contacted directly. Please note that we will review the programme in January in line with Government guidelines and restrictions related to Covid-19, which may result in further cancellations.
All information below is subject to change in light of developments related to Covid-19 and related government and public health restrictions.
Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis. While we are happy to answer queries from parents, we will only confirm places directly with students.
Please note that the following weeks are now fully booked at our Dublin centre:
- January 18th
- January 25th
- February 1st
- February 8th
- February 15th (midterm break)
- February 22nd
- March 1st
- March 8th
- March 29th (Easter holidays)
- April 5th (Easter holidays)
- April 12th
- April 19th
- April 26th
- May 10th
- May 17th
If you are interested in working with children and/or the creative arts, a Transition Year work experience placement is a great learning opportunity and a lot of fun! During work experience week placements, students assist with our primary school workshops, including set up and clean up, from 9.30am to 12.30pm. A different class visits us each morning, from primary schools all over the Dublin area. Students spend the first half of the morning writing a story as a group and the second half of the morning writing individual endings to that story. Work experience students are part of the team of volunteer writing tutors who deliver the workshop each day, supervised by Fighting Words staff.
Placements are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. As placements with us are very popular, students are encouraged to contact us as soon as you know your work experience dates.
Fighting Words is a Gaisce Challenge Partner! If you are working toward your Bronze Award in Transition Year, you can find out more here.
Fighting Words accepts 4th year (Transition Year) students for work experience on the following basis:
- One day per week for a minimum of four weeks at our centres in Dublin and Glencree, Co. Wicklow. Students must be available one day per week for a minimum of four weeks on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday for a minimum of four weeks. We do not run workshops on Fridays.
- Week-long placements at our centres in Dublin and Wicklow, mornings from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Important Information About Garda Vetting:
- If you will be 15 years old at the time of your placement. you are NOT required to be Garda vetted.
- If you will be 16 years old at the time of your placement, you are LEGALLY REQUIRED to be Garda vetted.
- Please note that Fighting Words DOES NOT conduct Garda vetting for TY students. You may ONLY apply for a place at Fighting Words if your school provides Garda vetting for students - check with your school for details. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU WILL BE VETTED BY YOUR SCHOOL DURING YOUR PLACEMENT DATES.
Please contact Sara Bennett, General Manager, with any queries about our TY programme.